Monday, July 15, 2013

The things kids say

My youngest daughter and my youngest nephew are about 2 years apart. When they were younger my daughter always referred to my nephew as, "the baby". At the time, I was more then done with having children and she latched onto any baby thinking it could be like a little brother or sister. I used to think to myself that she would make such a great big sister.

Being around someone younger has made her realize what her older sister feels towards her. She tells me things like, "I can't do anything alone!", "He says he wants to play, but only the things he wants to play!". I can't do anything other then nod for fear I will loose it with laughter. There is a big part of me that hopes this is good medicine for when she sees her big sis at the end of the summer.

WAIT - it gets better...

Today was an especially amusing day to me.

This afternoon while playing in the pool with the younger kids I was talking to my daughter about why she can't play mermaid with her cousin. She made of a myriad of reasons which ended in a disagreement with me where her only argument was, "I'm SMARTER!". Every time I wanted to ask her a follow up question she would take herself under water not to answer.

It makes you think. Smarter huh? Based on how much she already knows I am sure she will be smarter than I am. But I am definitely not ready to admit that to her. However, I can already tell that every argument I ever had with my mother will be nothing in comparison to what this girl will come at me with.

Post "I'm smarter!", we came inside to get ready to go pick up my sister and her husband. I suggested that the kids should bathe. My nephew looked at me, asked for his clothes and then said, "I'm taking a bath." So I ran the bath and then realized he wasn't wearing any clothes, I told him to go into the bathroom and wait for me. He said, " Ya, Mommy says you can't be walking around the house naked!". The only thing I could come up with was.... " Good advice buddy". I walked into the bathroom doing my best not to laugh on the outside as much as I was on the inside.

Kids are amazing. When we have the time to really hear what they are saying and just enjoy the moments of the day with them, they are HYSTERICAL.


A great day to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment