Saturday, August 3, 2013

mesmerizing yellowstone


When I was a little girl my father used to take me camping and those are some of the best memories I have from being a child. I didn't mind getting dirty or playing in a creek, eating what we caught for dinner or learning how to shoot a bow and arrow. It was a bond that we had and it was always a lot of fun, it's always been a part of me.

Last May, we took our girls camping for the first time and.... it snowed, well actually it hailed but it was a really rough introduction for them. Luckily, at that age a few s'mores and a camp fire fixes all, whew, crisis averted. 

This year we had the opportunity to go to Yellowstone. 

WOW.INCREDIBLE.SURREAL. MAGICAL.INVITING.COMFORTING.MESMERIZING.

I'm not sure I can truly put into words the impact that this place had on my soul. In the middle of a national park, in the middle of, "Be Bear Aware" country, I felt, at home. More importantly, the whole family was invested in having a great time and making the best of the days that we had there. My oldest daughter, still with her father for the summer, wasn't able to attend and that is the only thing that I wish I could have changed. We went to national landmarks, made good ol' camp food, sat around the fire and learned about each others lives and became even closer than we already were. Camping, the out doors and the love of fresh clean air are things I am glad my children have an interest in. This was the first of many trips like this and it is one we will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment